The Foundry Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Foundry Forums

All things related to Table Top Gaming

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to our website!! Please register an account and come chat with us or check out our calendar of events.   And don't forget to visit our Web Store for our Magic Singles !

Tournament format thoughts

Go down 
+2
Admin
Howard Brock
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Howard Brock

Tournament format thoughts Empty
PostSubject: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 pm

The biggest draws to tournaments are the release of new sets, large prizes, and finally format. Anytime that a new set is released we should have a sealed the first Saturday upon its release. The Foundry participates in all large prize tournaments so that is no problem either. That leaves us with the rest of the time which does not always have a large turnout.

My suggestion is to create tournament formats that keep things interesting and fun. Player involvement is needed here. All players should create some formats that we either vote on to play or reach into a hat and pull out. This should be set in advance.

I would like to see a two month schedule. That would be this months schedule and the following month. A two month schedule should include sealed events, special events, and all formats. I think that would help a lot.

I also think you should take a look at league play. I once ran a Summer Bash league with a total of 8 tournaments followed by a one day playoff of 6 players. Playoffs were single elimination with the top two players having byes to the semi finals. I ran various formats for each league and I even mixed up it for the Finals.

We need player involvement and more players. The Foundry is my home now and I would like others to feel the same way. There is nothing more important than the feeling of "Group" that we can have. I want to see our group grow and flourish.
I have no ambition of judging or running Heroclix but I very much enjoy being involved and helping.

Anyway I hope this forum grows and becomes active.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

These are GREAT ideas and I want to see us all grow and have fun as well.
Myself and Drew have already discussed a league format, and hopefully I will be drawing up the play details today for every ones preview. I am looking at a 3 month run with an over all winner each quarter. the over all winner each 3 month quarter wins something cool as well as free Entry to the End Event which should be held after the 4th quarter event and before the end of the year (2014). As well I would like to be able to roll these into ROC's league events so that points can be earned that way as well. We hope to be able to give every one the most fun experience they can have and get great loot along the way !
I look forward to working with all our players to create and grow North Alabama's best Heroclix community.

As to the monthly events I am open to ideas and discussions, New set runs are great for sealed format and even the draft format we will be running this Saturday.
Some had even mentioned adjusting the Entry fee to allow purchase of extra boosters to add to the prize pull, so the more peeps the larger the prize !

We here will do as much as we can to support all these Ideas, but we will also need the support of the community at large to use the power of word of mouth and posting to relevant forums about our upcoming events to help the games growth.
Back to top Go down
https://thefoundryforums.forumotion.com
Mitch-El

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm

Outside of really crazy not-going-to-happen stuff, I am only going to make one tourney a month (give or take) anyway.

A schedule would better allow me/us to plan things out. If, for example, we are planning on something and set a particular weekend as the time, finding out in a thursday e-mail that I/we really want to play Clix on saturday is only going to matter so much.

But if there is an event happening (FI, the upcoming AvX, and the War of Light after that) then that will be my target.
I might try and make a sealed tourney for a new set (and again, if the event dictates sealed, like FI and the upcoming WoL), but after a time I mostly have what I want and opening another booster doesn't hold the same appeal.

I buy boosters to get the characters that I want.
Comes a point that I want to play those characters, not open more boosters and hope for something good, even if there is nothing else that I actually want.
Back to top Go down
theredmark2000

theredmark2000

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm

I like the Idea of a league play... that sounds very interesting to me.. may be a tourney where you have to use a different team every round... with no repeating pieces would be interesting..
Back to top Go down
Saudi

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyMon Nov 25, 2013 10:27 pm

I just want to play some dang 'ol clix!

I like sealed just as much as constructed (provided I'm not broke from so many sets coming out at one time). I will say that the crazier the build the more interested i am.

As soon as I'm off again I'll be there rolling dice and emptying my wallet!

PS: the foundry rocks!
Back to top Go down
Fallnor

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyTue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 am

lol would be crazy to see some Hobbit vs giant robots !
Back to top Go down
Saudi

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 10:11 am

Title: Mad Scientist
Build: 300 points, doesn't matter if it's "golden, modern, whatever"

You have 1 and only 1 character with the scientist keyword and the rest of your team consists of monster and/or robot keywords. Everyone that follows this build gets generic theme team bonus regardless of how many pieces they play.

Oh and if you roll a critical hit or your opponent rolls a critical miss, you have to give a real loud "Mmwwaaa hhaaa hhaaa!!"

what yall think
Back to top Go down
Fallnor

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:35 pm

awasome
Back to top Go down
Mitch-El

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 12:13 am

theredmark2000 wrote:
I like the Idea of a league play... that sounds very interesting to me.. may be a tourney where you have to use a different team every round... with no repeating pieces would be interesting..

I like this, and it can even have other conditions applied.

Something like 'AvX- Must build four different teams (in case four rounds will be required).  Characters used for one team may not be used for another, and each team must contain one figure from the starter for your chosen faction'

or

'Must build four different teams, no figure can appear on more than one team, your opponent will choose which team you play, and after a team is played it can not be chosen again'.

Saudi wrote:
Title: Mad Scientist
Build: 300 points, doesn't matter if it's "golden, modern, whatever"

You have 1 and only 1 character with the scientist keyword and the rest of your team consists of monster and/or robot keywords. Everyone that follows this build gets generic theme team bonus regardless of how many pieces they play.

Oh and if you roll a critical hit or your opponent rolls a critical miss, you have to give a real loud "Mmwwaaa hhaaa hhaaa!!"

what yall think

I like this, too, minus the theatrics.

But I also think that it is reasonably important to keep in mind that everyone has spent some amount of money on their Clix, and they may want to just play their stuff.

There are restrictions ("everyone has to play a 600 point theme team") and there are *RESTRICTIONS* ("everyone has to play a 300 point future theme").

I'm okay with some of the latter, but it should be used more sparingly than the former.

Not that I have a problem with lower point games, I actually like them, but it makes it more difficult to play some pieces because of the lower point build, and in this example it's combined with the generic theme requirement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tournament format thoughts   Tournament format thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

Tournament format thoughts
Page 1 of 1